Gallery of Modern Art
The Gallery of Modern Art has four satellite museums.
The Gallery of Modern Art was established in 1883 to display the works of the most famous contemporary artists. Until 1915 the Gallery of Modern Art was housed in the Palazzo delle Esposizioni in via Nazionale. It was later transferred to the building designed in 1911 by Cesare Bazzani for the exhibition held to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Italian unification.
The Gallery of Modern Art was first extended by the same architect in 1934 when the annex on the north side was created to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Fascist regime. This served to house additions to the collections (the Venice Biennal, the Quadriennal of Rome and shows of the artists’ guild).
The Gallery of Modern Art was four satellite museums: the Praz Museum, the Boncompagni Ludovisi Museum, the Manz Museum and Collection, and the Hendrik Christian Andersen Museum – all of which fall within the overall period covered by the Gallery.
In the 1960s in particular, the Gallery of Modern Art followed a far-sighted policy of contemporary acquisitions. This was not maintained in later decades, although certain important 19th century works were added, as were major works, some of them bequests, by 20th century artists.
The collections, comprising approximately 5,000 paintings and sculptures and 12,000 drawings, are displayed chronologically, though the various periods are presented in different ways.
The 19th century collection.egins with the neoclassical period (Appiani, Canova) and continues with Romanticism (Minardi, Tenerani, Kock) and historical Romanticism (Hayez, Podesti, d’Azeglio, Ussi, Ciseri, Celentano, Pagliano), the landscapes of the Neapolitan school (Pitloo, Gigante) and the Tuscan ‘macchiaioli’ painters and their followers (Fattori, Sernesi, Borrani, Cecioni, Signorini, Costa, Abbati, Lega, Cabianca). The later Neapolitan Romantic and Realist schools are presented by Palizzi brothers, Morelli, Toma, Gemito, Mancini and Michetti. Among the most important artists from the north Italian schools are Faruffini, Cremona, Fontanesi and Segantini, while Divisionists Pellizza and Previati are also well represented.
Opening hours: Tuesdays - Saturdays 9am - 7pm and Sundays and holidays 9am - 1pm (in summer time); Tuesdays - Saturdays 9am - 2pm and Sundays 9am - 1pm (other seasons)
Official site: http://www.gnam.beniculturali.it/index.php?en/1/home