Doria Pamphilj Gallery
The Palazzo Doria Pamphilj is one of the largest and most magnificent palaces in the center of Rome.
The Doria Pamphilj Gallery is a large privately owned art collection housed in the Palazzo Doria Pamphilj in Rome. This museum offers a look at what it was like to live in an 18th-century palace. It has been restored to its former splendor and expanded to include four rooms long closed to the public. Like the palace, it is still privately owned by the princely Roman family Doria Pamphilij.
In 1763, Clement XIII Rezzonico granted to prince Giovanni Andrea IV Doria (1705-64) the surname, the insignia and the properties of the Pamphilj , on account of the relationship acquired by way of the marriage between Giovanni Andrea III Doria (1653- 1737) and Anna Pamphilj (1671). Thus ended the quarrels between the Borghese, Colonna and Doria families for the succession to Girolamo Pamphilj, who died in 1760 without male heirs.
The obligation to reside within the Pontifical state, imposed on the holders of huge estates in the territory, compelled the Doria to leave Genova and take up definitive residence in Rome . From about 1767, Andrea IV Doria Pamphilj (1747-1820) established himself with his wife, Leopoldina di Savoia Carignano, in the palace on the Corso, where the heirs still live today.
The Doria in Genova were outstanding figures in historical events central to the physiognomy of the Italian peninsula, as were the Pamphilj in Rome.
The Gallery Doria Pamphilj is situated on the first floor of the superb Doria Pamphilj building. The oldest parts of this building date back to 1435. Entering from "Via del Corso", you can admire a VI century cloister. In 1601, another courtyard and two wings were added to the building. In the 18th century Valvassori drew the main facade on Via del Corso, that is considered his masterpiece.
The Gallery Doria Pamphilj contains over 400 works, mainly from the private collections of the Pamphili and Doria families. They include works by Tintoretto (“Portrait of a Prelate”), the fragments of an altarpiece, probably by Titian, Corregio ("Virtue"), Raphael (“Double Portrait”), Caravaggio (“Repented Magdalena” and the masterly “Rest on the Flight into Egypt”), Velzquez (the famous portrait of Pope Innocent X). Other works are: "Herodias" by Tiziano; "St. Jerome" by Lorenzo Lotto; "Sacred conversation" and "St. Sebastian" by Ludovico Carracci; “Bust of Olimpia Maidalchini Pamphilj" and “bust of Innocenzo X” by Alessandro Algardi; “Erminia finds Tancredi again", "St. John the Baptist and St. Agnes on the stake” by Guercino; "The Earthly Paradise" by Jan Brueghel il Vecchio; "The Virgin Birth" and "The Virgin Wedding" by Giovanni di Paolo; "Woman playing Viola" and "Salome" by Andrea Solario; "Shepherds Worship" and "Our Lady with her Child" by Parmigianino; “St. Jerome” by Domenico Beccafumi; "Innocenzo X's Bust" by Gian Lorenzo Bernini; and many other works.
Visitors are also shown the private and state apartments of the palace, with pictures and sculpture.